Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Spiritual Food

Written by Judy Johnson
February 25, 2008

'Where do we get our energy from?', I asked my husband, Michael.

He swiftly replied, 'Candy'.

I laughed so hard, knowing my husband has a sweet tooth.

He added, 'And go to sleep early'. That is a good answer and pretty close.

Then, I asked our friend Jeremy the same question that I had just asked Michael.

Jeremy was in deep thought, and his mind was churning when he answered, 'Fresh air and food?'

'Exactly, close enough!' I exclaimed, 'The answer is food! Yes, we all need fresh air, but without eating something we would starve to death and not be able to walk around.'

I went on to say to Jeremy, 'You see the fruit in the big glass bowl on the table.

The fruit stays in the bowl on the table.

You will have to reach out to pick up the fruit from the bowl.

The fruit just stays in the bowl.

This fruit cannot walk toward you to creep up on your body and crawl into your mouth. That doesn't make sense.

You will have to reach for it, peel off the banana peel and bit into it, or cut up the apple to make a fruit salad.

That is what is called, 'reach out', 'pick up', 'preparing' then 'eat it'.

Now, I would I say almost the same to you again. This time I would like to apply it to the spiritual food. We need 'to reach out, to pick up, prepare, and then eat it.'

Jesus' flesh and blood is symbolic of spiritual food.

The Bible does not come to us and force spiritual food on us.

We would be dying without hope unless we reach out to get the spiritual food from Jesus.

We reach out to Jesus, we dig in the word of God, we talk to Him in prayer like we talk to our best friend, and we get to know Him.

The Bible is left on the table.

The Bible does not walk toward us to open itself to us.

The Bible does not throw itself at us to get our attention.

All we need to do is to pick the Bible up and open it.

We need to pray asking for the Holy Spirit to guide our minds as we read. The Holy Spirit will help us to understand better and help reduce the misunderstandings as we are reading the Bible. The Holy Spirit also helps to prevent Satan from twisting the words of God.

Then, read the Bible slowly to digest the words into our minds.

Jesus' words to 'Eat my flesh, and drink my blood' is symbolic of us eating the spiritual food. He wants to get us to know Him as our Saviour and as our best friend.


Edited by AMB

No comments: